FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Saturday 5 November 2011

30 Days of Lipstick, Day 4: MAC Satin Lipstick in Rebel

Ok, so I made it a hat trick: MAC three days in a row! I was hoping to mix things up a bit, but I just received a lovely new lipstick in a makeup swap and I was dying to try it out! This new goody is none other than MAC Satin lipstick in Rebel ($17.50 CAD at MAC stores and counters). It is a unique deep violet-berry-magenta shade with a rich, opaque finish.

Here are a couple of pictures of it in the tube:

MAC Lipstick in Rebel: A pretty good colour representation, but a bit blurry...

A clearer picture of MAC Rebel lipstick, though the shade is not as brown as it appears here

And a swatch of it on my arm:

MAC Satin Lipstick in Rebel, swatched on my inner arm (MAC NC15 skin tone)


MAC describes Rebel as "vivid pinkish purple", but I find it to be more nuanced than that. As I mentioned earlier, it seems to have elements of red, pink, violet, berry, and purple all at once! Although this shade is definitely deep, its pinky-violet undertones keep it bright enough to not wash out my skin or make me look corpse-like (as some purple and deep-wine lipsticks tend to do). And its Satin finish provides a to-die-for semi-matte, highly pigmented finish. I find it to be a perfect rich shade of lipstick for fall!

Here are a few pictures of me wearing it:

Me wearing MAC Satin Lipstick in Rebel

With flash

In sunlight

The Verdict

Pros
  • Highly pigmented colour- you only need one swipe for colour-drenched lips!
  • I can see this as being flattering on both warm- and cool-toned skin
  • The finish is not too matte, so is not drying on the lips
  • MAC's  price point can't be beat for the quality!
  • A perfect shade for fall/winter :)
Cons
  • This shade could definitely scare off those who prefer more subtle lips (though I urge you to try this- you may surprise yourself!)
  • Because this colour is so bold, you may have to pair it with a lip liner to keep the edges looking clean. I used MAC Lipliner in Whirl.

Overall, I am very happy with my newly acquired lipstick! It is unlike any other berry/purple-toned lipstick in my collection, and I can see myself reaching for it often during the coming fall and winter months.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! The blush colour looks lovely on you! Mind sharing what it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Glad you found it helpful! I wrote this post a long time ago, so can't remember exactly, but my best guess is that the blush is NARS Dolce Vita. Love pairing it with berry and plummy lip colours :)

      Delete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)