FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Monday 27 June 2011

My Newest Skincare Obsession: Grapeseed Oil!

Wow, it really feels like forever since I've written an entry! Between a couple untimely and unpleasant illnesses (food poisoning is officially the worst!) and my upcoming comprehensive exam paper deadline, this blog has unfortunately taken a back seat for the past couple of weeks.

But that is all changing now, because I have a new favourite product to rave about! I've always had the desire to incorporate natural skincare items into my routine, but almost every attempt at doing so has left my skin broken out, irritated, and otherwise unhappy. But that unlucky streak ended when I decided to give grapeseed oil a try.

I'd recently read that grapeseed oil was a favourite of those who had oily, breakout-prone skin, as it actually worked to regulate oil production while providing light moisture. I also heard that it was great for makeup removal, effectively eviscerating even the toughest long-wearing foundations, sunscreens, and mascaras. Plus, grapeseed oil is packed with antioxidants, vitamin E, and linolenic acid, an unsaturated fatty acid purported to help help with troubled skin. (Can you tell I'm in the process of writing an academic paper? I just used the word "purported" in a blog post :p).

I was mesmerized at the prospect, so I picked up a small bottle of Aura Cacia Grapeseed Natural Skin Care Oil at Whole Foods for about $7.99 CAD.


Aura Cacia Organic Grapeseed Oil

The oil is yellow in colour with a medium consistency (definitely runny, but not too thin) and has a faint, fruity smell. For the past few weeks I've been using it to take off my eye makeup at night and as a nighttime moisturizer.

As a makeup remover, grapeseed oil really works! It's great at dissolving my waterproof mascara and doesn't sting or irritate my eyes. Fantastic!

I've been most pleasantly surprised with how well it has worked as a moisturizer. After using toner, I apply a generous amount around my eyes (which are showing the first signs of fine lines- ugh!) then spread the rest lightly and evenly around my face. In terms of technique, I've learned that less is more! I dispense a dime-sized amount (or slightly less), using half around the eye area, and the rest all over. It definitely leaves an oily residue, but amazingly it has not clogged my pores or broken me out! Since I've been using grapeseed oil in the evenings, my breakouts have reduced significantly. I couldn't be happier! It seems that by nourishing my face with this oil in the evenings, my skin isn't forced to produced extra oil, which keeps my pores happy. Plus, I find the oil very soothing, and I always wake to calm, even skin.

Overall, I'm ecstatic with Aura Cacia's Grapeseed Oil so far, due to its versatility, affordability, and the quick and noticeable difference it's made for my skin. Even other people have mentioned that my skin is looking clearer these days, which makes this product worth every penny :)

So, if you have combination or oily skin that needs a bit of moisture at night- or if you need a heavy duty makeup remover that won't irritate your eyes- give grapeseed oil a try!

Thanks for reading :)

3 comments:

  1. This sounds great!!! I am totally grabbing some on my next grocery venture ... thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found this useful, Sarah! I bought it in the skin care section of Whole Foods, rather than with the cooking oils... Let me know if you end up giving it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, I'm glad your paper is done so you can relax and recover from being sick. I'm happy for you too that you found a very helpful product and that you now have time for your blog since you love it! Mom

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)